One year has passed since I wrote last. A lot has happened in Ukraine, but in my opinion only the recent law they passed in the Rada, banning all Soviet symbols has finally been a major step in the right direction! I will try to explain why I think so.
The ATO (i.e., anti terrorist operation) failed to bring back the now DNR and LNR parts of Ukraine. What it did, was waste the lives of many people! This could have and should have been avoided by Kiev. The first step should have been this exactly same law: ban the Soviet propaganda once and for all! No, not by banning Russian language, with the strategic goal to have a non Russian speaking population in Ukraine three generations from now, but by enforcing such law, by printing and translating all of Victor Suvorov’s books in Ukrainian language as well!
One of the major strategic errors committed by numerous governments in Ukraine since 1991, was exactly this: they did not change the propaganda! It kept on rolling. So, today we have millions of people who sincerely believe that WW2 was actually The Great Patriotic War, which of course beat Hitler, so therefore was also justified! Most of the world population has no clue that:
1. It was the Soviet Union that was after world domination, not Hitler.
2. It was the Soviet Union that helped Hitler come to power in Germany.
3. It was the Soviet Union that intentionally worked to provoke WW2, for its own (world domination) means.
4. It was the Soviet Union that against international agreement, secretly helped and built German military might on its own territory.
5. It was the Soviet Union that gave the know-how to Germany on building and running concentration camps.
6. It was the Soviet Union signing the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact in Moscow (not Berlin), before Stalin, (not Hitler) that divided Poland, and created the German-Soviet “axis” which allowed Germany to achieve its initial victories!
7. It was the Soviet Union that openly eliminated at least 10% of the best people in any society, as means to demolish it, and construct an entirely new one.
8. It was the Soviet Union that murdered millions, and caused even millions more to die (from starvation, planned labor elimination in concentration camps etc.) .
9. It was the Soviet Union that evicted and moved entire ethnic populations from their lands to Siberia and the far East.
10. It was the Soviet Union that in preparing its invasion of Europe, scared Hitler, and pushed him to begin planning Operation Barbarossa, not an out of context sentence taken form Mein Kampf.
11. It was the Soviet Union in positioning its army ready for invasion, that allowed the Germans their initial tactical success, not the invented German superiority.
12. It was the Soviet Union that allowed its commanding staff to abuse mercilessly its troops by numerous ineffective maneuvers and operations. Thus contributing to the enormous death toll of the Red Army.
13. It was the Soviet Union that INVADED half of Europe, and did not LIBERATE it from Germany, because it forgot to leave it after that (until 1991). An obvious exception here being Austria!
14. It was the Soviet Union that enforced half of Europe with its inefficient socio-economic system for over 45 years.
I am sure there are numerous other reasons, that could be added to this list, but even those are more than enough to JUSTIFY the new law that Ukraine voted for. And this should be followed by the rest of the world!
And so what if the Soviet Union helped destroy Hitler? Because it did so, we should now simply forget its incomparably larger list of evil acts, including the creation of NAZI Germany, and respect it? Is that it? Well, I do not think so!
The Soviet Union never fought to liberate anyone from Hitler, it fought to INVADE countries that were either sovereign or previously invaded by Germany, with the Soviet help of course! The same German camps Soviet soldiers liberated, were then quickly cleaned up and stuffed with new people, this time under Soviet control.
And now a question to all professional western historians, who have built their careers on continuously repeating the Soviet propaganda, and brainwashing generations of nothing suspecting students: Was it worth it? Or was the Soviet propaganda so well made, that you suspected nothing wrong with it? And if that was so, then why was it that most of you ignored at best Victor Suvorov, who has since 1985 (mind you) been trying to explain the world population the real history of the Soviet Union? Was his Ice-breaker not enough for you to be convinced that there was something fishy with the main stream “historiography” to make you scratch your heads and perhaps look deeper into it? Oh, no most of you added couple of pages to your professional CV’s list of publications, on how BAD Victor Suvorov was! Well, good or bad, who cares? But was he right? Where do you stand today on the Ukrainian crisis? According to your writings, Russia is right, the Ukrainian government is fascist, because anyone trying to build an Ukrainian national identity must be a fascist! The Soviet Union that you, with your ill researched books, have supported all these years, must be right, it fought against Hitler, right? Well, it fought WITH Hitler as well! So, where do you stand now?
And last but not least. Today’s Russia is changing, and I could not be happier to see that the people of the Russian Federation are finally being counted as human beings, that their government is trying to help them, with creating a better rule of law. Kremlin is taking most of the Soviet era faults, and is trying hard to avoid them at all costs, to take better and more effective ways to run and develop the country! But one STRATEGIC mistake Kremlin did and still does is the carrying over of the Soviet propaganda about the Great Patriotic War! This is a huge error, that could have been fixed long ago, in the 1990s, and by today was going to be over with, and was not going to become a rotten plinth in the fundamental of the new Russian Federation. Was it so hard to really do away with the horrific policies the Bolsheviks took, to blame them, to even put few in jail, or at least on trail, so that the millions who were victimized by them, could feel a sense of justice, for their loved ones, vanished in the concentration camps or elsewhere in the Soviet Union? Instead, I guess fear took the upper hand, and as a result the new Russian Federation today, absolutely VOLUNTARILY took over the heave burden to continue to deny and to spread the Soviet WW2 propaganda! May I ask, is the veteran who fought on the front line against Germany, on par with the veteran who served at the NKVD surround units and shot at his back, so that he would not try to retreat? Is the NKVD concentration camp guard, or investigator, who has humiliated, tortured and murdered many Soviet “citizens” just equally a veteran who fought against Hitler as well? Especially those who paraded together with the Germans in Poland in 1939? And those who INVADED the three Baltic states and parts of Romania in 1940, are they on par with the rest of the veterans? And what about those who fought and died while INVADING Finland? They must have been liberating it from Hitler as well, what else were they doing there in inhumane climatic conditions… spreading socialist happiness? No way!
My question to the modern Russian politicians is: why did you take this unnecessary and doomed burden? Back in the Soviet time, Stalin and his band of criminals (as Mr. Nikolai Starikov establishes well in his book Not a Revolution, but a Covert Operation 1917) had to cover up their intentions, their responsibility for WW2, so they lied! 1991 was the perfect opportunity for resolving this issue, once and for all, letting people know the truth about their own history, about the reasons for their hardships, and their burdens during the years of the Soviet social experiments. And no, you were never going to “betray” the veterans, at least those who really fought with Germany, and those who murdered and terrorized their own population, well, they at least were going to feel a bit uneasy and uncomfortable for their deeds! I’d say that’s nothing, compared to what they had done! And today you are faced with the enormous Soviet-style burden to re-invent the wheel, only so that you carry on with these Soviet myths. And this in an increasingly unfriendly climate with the West. This can now be always used to show that you are no better than the old Soviet Bolsheviks, even though, you are trying to be, this is obvious toady to anyone who follows Russia closely. Too many people were eliminated, too many were tortured and humiliated, to sweep it all under the carpet, and pretend it never happened! And no matter how many new TV shows, mo vies, books, conferences and discussions you invest in to try and sell it as the truth, it will always remain nothing but a cheap lie. The new Russian Federation, did not need this, and it will hamper its development until it is finally resolved!